Pages

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I’m a Cheater who Doesn’t Update Enough (Chicken and Dumplings Made Easy)

I keep promising myself I will blog more, and somehow I always wind up failing to do so. I have been a very busy woman in the kitchen. I’ve probably baked ten dozen cookies, and I’ve baked several pies; obviously I’ve cooked a variety of meals, though mostly it’s been simple stuff like hamburgers or fried chicken. I even made the crust for some of my pies. However, I haven’t done much worth blogging about. I’m going to make it my goal to cook more and blog more, so if you are reading this, welcome to the show.

ON TO THE FOOD

(without pictures because my batteries were dead)

Simmering in a large stock pot in my kitchen are what I like to call Chicken and Dumplings Made Easy. The trick is not making the dumpling from scratch, even though if you can make biscuits you can make dumplings easy enough. However I do have a new tag called Easy Peasy which will have meal ideas that are simple to do and require minimal ingredients, like the meal at hand.

Basically you boil chicken breasts, on the bone and with skin, with a little butter, salt, pepper, and any other seasoning you like, and then you drain them, saving some of the broth. Remove the bones and skin and put the meat back in the pot, covering them with chicken stock, some of the broth from boiling the chicken, and extra water.

To make the dumplings, all you do is take store bought homestyle biscuits, the kind that come in a can from the refrigerated section of the grocery store, and roll them out thin. With sharp knife, slice them into strips and drop them into the pot. Sometimes I add a bit of flour to the pot to thicken it, but otherwise just simmer until the dumplings are tender and not doughy. Simple as can be!

Recipe (not really) for Chicken and Dumplings Made Easy

4 Large Chicken Breasts still on the bone with skin
2 T Butter
Salt & Pepper to Taste
4 Cans of Homestyle Biscuits
32 oz. Chicken Stock (more if you’d like a stronger flavor)
Water

  • Boil the chicken with butter and seasonings until tender and falling off the bone
  • Drain chicken, remove bones and skin
  • Pour stock and water over chicken
  • Roll biscuits until they reach desired thickness, slice into strips, and drop into pot
  • Simmer until dumplings are tender and not doughy

No comments:

Post a Comment